Some people are good at it, naturally. Some people struggle. But most people have never learnt how to put a good powerpoint presentation together. I came across this site by Cliff Atkinson recently and watched the recording of his webinar “Transform Your PowerPoint Beyond Bullet Points“.
Some of the key points:
- Most presentations have all the content in the bullet points which is subsequently read out loud by the presentor.
- The vast majority of recipients of “standard” bullet point presentations find them boring or can’t see the point in having someone read out what is already on the screen (“might as well email it to me”)
- Studies have shown that when you take away the text from your standard bullet point presentation retention by the audience goes up by 28%
- The same study shows that if you remove the text from the screen the audiences ability to apply that information afterwards goes up by 78%
- Creating presentations based on the concept of a film story board is a much more effective way to do powerpoint presentations
- More images, fewer words.
Good stuff. It’s a long presentation, but Windows Media Player does allow you to speed-up the video….